What is the Beard + Bloom website all about?
Beard + Bloom is a lifestyle blog inspired by simple, Midwestern living and our own personal interests – including, but not limited to, travel, food, beer, DIY, current events, and more. The blog shares the stories and viewpoints of Aly and Jeremy (and our dachshund, Rosie) as we embark on new travels, life stages, and experiences.
Why is it called Beard + Bloom, anyway?
Good question! We played around with a lot of names, but when this one came up, it really stuck. The “Beard” part is pretty self-explanatory. Jeremy is known around town as “the guy with the awesome beard” and has been for years now. The “Bloom” part was a little trickier and took some time to grow on us. But ultimately, Aly decided it was fitting as a symbol of positive changes and new starts, which she hopes this website will inspire. “Bloom” also does double duty as it incorporates our dog, Rosie, into our name! And there you have it, Beard + Bloom.
What’s your story?
We’ve been together for five years, and a lot has happened in that time! Check out our story here.
Where are you from?
We currently reside in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Jeremy was born and raised in our beloved city, while Aly grew up living about an hour southwest.
How old are you?
We’re getting a bit sensitive about this one, but we’ll answer because we love you. Jeremy is 32 and Aly is 28 (Aly actually celebrated her 27th birthday in 2015 by launching Beard + Bloom!)
Are you married?
We get this a lot, and the answer is no – not yet! We pinky swear we’ll post all about it when that changes!
Will you be opening up the Services or Shop section of your website soon?
We are now offering photography and videography services as well as marketing and social media services! We don’t have a set launch date for the shop portion of our site yet, but we promise to make a big deal of it when we do! Make sure you’re following us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for updates!
What do you two do for a living?
Aly works at a local credit union as a Digital Marketing Analyst, where she manages the organization’s social media, daily blog, financial wellness, and millennial-focused initiatives, and various creative elements. Jeremy is the assistant manager at a used bookstore and wears all kinds of hats day to day in order to keep the place running smoothly!
Please note that all opinions shared by us via Beard + Bloom are our own and do not reflect on the companies we work for.
What kind of camera equipment and editing tools do you use?
Most blog photos and videos are taken with a Canon Rebel T3i (using a standard lens and a 50 mm) or Aly’s iPhone 6. Our most-used editing tools are Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Premiere, and VSCO Cam and Afterlight for phone photos.
What kind of dog is Rosie?
She’s a long-haired miniature dachshund! We adopted her from an animal foster care home, so we don’t have her extensive history. Her foster mom thought she might be a mix, but we’re pretty convinced she’s all weenie!
Who has longer hair?
The answer to this changes frequently. Jeremy did for a couple of years, then Aly held the title for a year or two, but currently, Jeremy has the longer locks (and the better beard.) Update: As of December 2016, Aly’s sporting a longer ‘do!
I’m coming to Fort Wayne! Where do you suggest I visit?
We’re really excited to share all about our favorite local places (in great detail!) as the blog grows. But for now, we’ll suggest some of our absolute favorites.
- Dining: JK O’Donnell’s, Dash-In, The Acme, Mad Anthony’s, Las Lomas, The Lucky Moose, The Deck (or any Don Hall’s!), Bravas, The Friendly Fox, Baan Thai, 800 Degrees, Cindy’s Diner, Toscani
- Drinks: Calhoun Street Soups, Salads & Spirits, Main Street Bistro & Martini Lounge, Henry’s, The Hoppy Gnome, Summit City Brewerks, Trubble Brweing, Club Soda, Trion (New Haven), Old Crown
- Coffeeshops: Fortezza, Mocha Lounge, Firefly Coffee House, Old Crown Coffee Roasters, The Friendly Fox, Bon Bon’s Coffee Company, Dash-In, Firehouse Cafe
- Entertainment: The Cinema Center, Arena Dinner Theatre, Wunderkammer, The Embassy, Botanical Conservatory, Parkview Field, The Rivergreenway, Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation, Rosewood Carriage Rides, The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo, Pedal City, Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Artlink, The Coliseum, The Brass Rail
- Shopping: Neat Neat Neat Record & Music, Hyde Brothers Books, Mercantile on Main, Fort Wayne Outfitters, Maisie & Maude, Emily’s Haute Cottage, Saving Grace Vintage, Third World Shoppe, Creative Women of the World, Our Daily Brew, Finders Keepers, Nature’s Corner Antique Mall, Antiques on Broadway
- Places to Stay: The LaSalle Bed and Breakfast, Don Hall’s Guesthouse, The Courtyard Downtown
How can I get in touch with you?
We’d love to hear from you! Whether you’re looking for more detail about something we’ve shared, are interested in sponsoring our site, or just want to say “hey,” you can reach us at contact AT beardandbloom DOT com.