I must admit, for the most part, I’m a much bigger fan of summer fruits than winter fruits. However, I always get excited for blood orange season.
I’ve also been craving smoothies like crazy over the past few weeks, but always use the same fruits to make them. So, when I pulled out the blender this weekend and wondered how I could change up my smoothie routine, the first thing I grabbed was a blood orange.
And what a great decision it was.
Here’s how I made this delicious drink.
Ginger + Blood Orange Smoothie
- 1 blood orange, peeled
- 1 banana, frozen (if not frozen, toss in a few extra ice cubes)
- 5 oz. plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk (I used almond)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger (or one small nub fresh ginger)
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 3 large ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (I start with the milk, yogurt, and banana, then top with the rest for easier blending.)
- Blend until smooth, adding more milk (or water) if needed.
You can easily adjust this recipe (leave out the protein powder, add spinach, up the ginger, and so on) to fit your nutritional needs. Next time, I might even add another blood orange for an extra bold flavor!