A giant helping of macaroni and cheese has always been the staple I look forward to more than anything else during holiday meals, and it’s definitely the comfort food I turn to most frequently.
Not all mac and cheese is created equal, though. Sometimes a from-the-box option will do, but nothing tastes better than homemade.
The recipe below is one I discovered a couple of years ago (from Six Sisters Stuff) and it’s become one of my go-to mac and cheese dishes to make for family gatherings and potlucks ever since. It’s affordable, incredibly simple to make, and delicious!
Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in water for six minutes and drain.
- While the macaroni is boiling, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shredded cheese and stir frequently until it’s melted.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, then toss in the melted cheese mixture, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, dry mustard, and pepper. Stir well. Add the drained macaroni and stir again so it’s coated in the mixture.
- Cook on low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with a little black pepper and green onion and enjoy!
This mac and cheese can easily be turned into a hearty meal, too. Add some of your favorite cooked veggies (broccoli, mushrooms) and some chicken or tofu for an easy, cheesy pasta dinner!