Each spring, as temperatures start to rise and the sun begins hanging around a little longer, I notice a major shift in my diet and cravings. I still love warm and hearty comfort foods, sure, but what I really get all sorts of excited for is lighter fare – salads and sandwiches, seasonal soups and sides, sweet fruits and grilled veggies. Kale yes!
When Jeremy and I visited Kansas City last fall, our last meal out ended up being kind of comical. We visited Beer Kitchen and, though everything on the menu looked top-notch, we both ended up ordering the same exact item. Usually when we both think the same dish looks good, we’ll order two separate meals and swap half so we have a chance to sample more. But for some reason the tomato avocado grilled cheese sounded so tasty that we both wanted one all to ourselves. And so that’s what happened. And it was very much the right decision!
Months later, I haven’t stopped thinking about it.
Last week, the talk of grilled cheese for lunch came up, and I immediately added “tomato” and “avocado” to the grocery list. Usually we eat these sandwich staples pretty plain around here – typically pairing them with a soup in the winter months. But ditching the soup and adding the fresh produce just seems so right when there’s sunshine and a warm breeze pouring into the kitchen!
Tomato & Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices bread
- 2-3 slices cheese of choice (I used Sharp Cheddar and Havarti)
- Thinly slice a few layers of tomato. If it’s really ripe/juicy, lightly pat each slice on either side with a paper towel to get rid of the excess water. Sprinkle each with a pinch of salt.
- Slice a few thin layers of avocado.
- Pour the olive oil into a skillet over medium heat and let warm, making sure the oil is spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the first piece of bread in the skillet and add 1-2 slices of cheese.
- Place a lid on top of the skillet (optional – but does allow for more even heating) and allow cheese to melt and bottom of bread to toast slightly.
- Once cheese has begun to melt, remove lid and place slices of tomato and avocado on top of cheese.
- Layer the final slice of cheese on top of the tomato and avocado (this helps it all stick together!), and top with second piece of bread.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over and allow final layer of cheese to melt before removing from heat.
- Let cool for a minute or two.
- Slice in half and enjoy!
I really wish I had discovered avocado before I hit my twenties (I was late into my college career my first time trying it.) I feel like I missed out and have so much catching up to do. I love you, you sweet, green things!
How do you flavor-up your grilled cheese game?