We savor a lot of pasta around here, but if I’m being honest, I rarely put much effort into it. Typically, I prepare it according to the directions on the package and toss it in a red or white sauce, or drizzle it with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and consider it a fancy enough feast for us.
And hey, you can’t really go wrong with pasta, no matter how you make it, at least in my book. This tortellini, though, takes it to the next level and, now that we’ve enjoyed it prepared this way, I’m on a mission to put just a tad more effort into preparing our pasta dishes. By the way, don’t let the name scare you – “en brodo” is just the fancy, Italian way of saying, “in broth.”
I actually came across this recipe at HelloFresh, while researching at-home meal delivery services. Jeremy and I have both been trying to eat more balanced meals and spend more time in the kitchen together, preparing dishes with fresh ingredients rather than tossing a pre-made meal in the oven or grabbing dinner out. But sometimes it seems nearly impossible to make the time for a grocery trip and meal preparation with our busy and conflicting schedules.
I’m curious as to whether any of our readers have tried these meal delivery services? I’ve read so many reviews and done so much comparison – cost, nutrition, vegetarian-friendliness – and because I’m so indecisive, always step away without committing to anything. I think I’ve narrowed the options down to HelloFresh, Plated, PeachDish, and Blue Apron, and I’m kinda feeling like I should just bite the bullet and give a couple a go.
But when I saw HelloFresh actually shares their recipe cards from past and current meal options, I had to give one a try. This dish was so simple, yet so tasty, that I’m definitely leaning their way now…
Tortellini En Brodo with Shredded Brussels Sprouts, Kale, and Parmesan
Serves 4 | Recipe via HelloFresh
- One (9 oz.) package cheese tortellini
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts
- 4 oz. kale
- 2 cloves garlic (I used pre-minced garlic)
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 cubes vegetable flavoring cubes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
- Prep the ingredients by trimming, halving, and thinly slicing the Brussels sprouts into shreds. Remove the ribs and stems from the kale, then thinly slice the leaves. Mince or grate the garlic. Halve, peel, and finely dice the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the Brussels sprouts and garlic to the pot and cook, tossing, for 4-5 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add 5 cups water and the stock concentrates to the pot. Bring to a boil, then add the kale and tortellini to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the tortellini and the kale are tender.
- Stir half the parmesan into the soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup divided between bowls, sprinkled with the remaining parmesan cheese.
Many of the reviews I’ve read for these meal delivery services have mentioned how the serving sizes tend to be a little off. For example, this recipe claimed to serve two people, but we easily made four meals out of it (which is totally okay by us!)
The preparation truly did take less than 30 minutes and the finished product is far more nutrition and flavor-packed than simply preparing the tortellini with a simple sauce and a vegetable side, like we normally do. That’s definitely not a lot of time to dedicate to such a fulfilling meal!
What are your favorite ways to prepare tortellini, and what are your thoughts on having the ingredients for a few meals a week delivered to your door? We’d love to hear your opinions on both!