Is it safe to say that soup season is upon us? Or right around the corner, at least? Though, I must admit that I’m pretty much always okay with a bowl of soup, regardless of what the weather is up to.
This one, though… this one is probably best enjoyed in the fall and winter. It’s definitely a stick-to-your bones kind of meal. The addition of white beans and chickpeas give it an extra boost of protein so you won’t fall hungry again as you snuggle under the covers to hibernate for the evening. And the best part is that you can do whatever cozy activity you like while it essentially makes itself in the slow cooker!
Creamy Cauliflower Almond Soup with Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 can great northern white beans (do not drain)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- 1- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- Rinse and chop cauliflower.
- Pour olive oil into slow cooker, then add in the cauliflower, vegetable broth, almonds, undrained white beans, garlic, a dash of salt, pepper, and the smoked paprika (to taste.)
- Let simmer on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally (double this time if your slow cooker is set to low.)
- When soup is almost done, preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and pat dry.
- Place chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper (and roasted garlic and smoked paprika, if desired.)
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until browned and crispy.
- When the soup is done cooking, turn off your slow cooker and pour in 1 cup almond milk.
- Carefully blend with an immersion blender, or, working in batches, process in a blender.
- Add in more almond milk, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot, with a handful of roasted chickpeas on top.
We ate this with a side of homemade everything bread, which I’ll post a recipe for soon!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. I’m looking forward to sharing more slow-cooker recipes in the coming months.
I’d love to hear your favorite meals to make using this beloved appliance!